This week we are featuring our Fresh Take Kale. Dark leafy greens like kale are tasty and good for you! Here in these hot days of summer, Salads take center stage on our farm table. This one does require you to turn the oven on, but I think you'll love the result. This recipe is chock full of healthy veggies and a delicious spicy dressing.
Kale is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. A single cup of raw kale has all of the recommended daily servings of vitamins A, K and C, and a good chunk of the other vitamins and minerals you need too! Kale is also loaded with powerful anti-oxidants, and.it is heart-healthy and anti-carcinogenic. We swear by it!
- 8 oz fresh ginger, grated
- 1 green or red chile pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tbsp Thai fish sauce (or Soy sauce)
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 bunch Fresh Take kale, ribs and stems removed, leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 large Fresh Take cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 3-4 Fresh Take radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup boxed fried onions
- Heat broiler.
- Broil the ginger still in its skin, turning once, until very dark brown and beginning to scorch in places and a paring knife passes through the center with relative ease, about 40–50 minutes Let it cool; slice (leave the skin on).
- Pulse ginger, chile, garlic, fish sauce, sugar, oil, and 2 Tbsp. water in a food processor, adding some additional water by tablespoonfuls if needed, until a paste forms.
- Toss the kale and ¼ cup dressing in a large bowl to coat.
- Toss cucumbers, radish, onion, lime juice, and sugar in a medium bowl to combine; season generously with salt. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Add cucumber mixture to bowl with kale and toss to combine, adding additional dressing if desired.
- Serve topped with cilantro and fried onions.
Adapted from a recipe in Bon Apetitit magazine - 7/21/18