Beets are a mainstay of the Winter market. For some, they can be an acquired taste so it helps to mix it up to make this versatile vegetable stand out. One of our favorite ways to prepare beets is to cube them and bake them with a little garlic, olive oil and salt. Today we'll go a little beyond that!
- 2 pounds beets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp lime juice, more to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Boil beets on the stovetop for 5 minutes, then blanch to cool.
- Dry and peel the beets. (Its much easier this way.)
- Cut those delicious beets into 1-inch chunks.
- Toss with the oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Sprinkle with the spices and roast again until the beets are nice and tender, about 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, mash the garlic with a pinch of salt until it forms a paste.
- Scoop the yogurt into a bowl and whisk in the garlic paste, jalapeno, ginger, 1/4 teaspoon salt and lime juice. Whisk in the cilantro last (save some of the cilarntro to garnish.)
- Scrape the warm beets into a large bowl. Stir in the dressing.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Garnish with a little extra cilantro.