There's nothing like the delicious smell of cheesy, buttery potatoes baking in a warm oven on a cold winter evening. Pair this with a pork tenderloin and some Brussel sprouts and you're off to the races with a cozy meal to set down and hibernate to! Serve with a English Brown Ale or a Burgundy wine if you're so inclined!
- 4 Russet potatoes, sliced thin
- 1 onion sliced into rings
- 1/2 tsp salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (f). Use the butter to grease a 1 quart casserole dish.
- Alternate layers of potatoes and onions into the prepared casserole dish. Ending with a final layer of potatoes. Season with some salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Slowly stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in that shredded cheese, and stir until melted, Stir in 1/2 tsp lemon juice to keep the cheese from becoming stringy. Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil or a pot cover.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven, remove the cover for the last 20 minutes of cooking.