A great treat in early summer are garlic, onion and leek scapes. An scape is the harvested stalk of the plant, cut before it can blossom into a flower. and go to seed Onion scapes have a mild onion flavor and can be used similarly to onions in cooking.
This recipe uses the flavor of the onion scape to take BBQ burgers to a new level.
- 1 lb Washington County Ground Beef
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup chopped onion scapes
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Heat the olive oil in a small pan and saute the onion scapes and chopped garlic together for 3-4 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Mix the egg, ground beef, and spices.
- Mix in the cooled onion scapes and chopped garlic.
- Grill over direct heat for 8 - 10 minutes, flipping periodically.
- Melt cheese over the burgers on the grill when done. 45 seconds - 1 minute.
- Serve on a warm toasted bun with your favorite Fresh Take lettuce, tomato and onion!