What is a "CSA" Farm Share?
The idea of a “Farm Share” is pretty simple. A “Member” buys a “Share” of a farmer’s harvest at the beginning of the growing season, and then comes to the farmer’s market each week to pick up their “Share” of the farm’s harvest. The most common type of farm share is what’s called a “CSA” which stands for “Community Supported Agriculture.”
What is the Veggie Club farm share?
The Veggie Club farm share program lets our community share the rewards of farming with Fresh Take Farm. Each week you will choose from a variety of healthy, delicious veggies! You'll also share some of the risks: Remember that that we are growing in Northern New York where the weather is unpredictable. Also, we only use natural fertilizers and natural methods for fighting against disease and pests. There are pros and cons to this approach but we passionately believe that the potential risks associated with chemical pesticides and commercial fertilizers far outweigh any benefits. We choose this approach knowing that it inherently decreases yields, but we also know that it improves our farm’s sustainability and supports the health of those who consume our produce.
It’s quite a bit different from buying your vegetables at a supermarket. Joining the Veggie Club farm share means that you share in one local farm’s harvest. You share in the risks and rewards of farming, with one farmer. There can be bumper crops; there can be droughts. High, and lows. When purchasing from the supermarket or even from a Farmers Market, you don’t really know exactly how or where exactly those vegetables have been grown. When you join the Veggie Club farm share CSA you can walk the fields and see the vegetables growing row by row, inch by inch. And even better, you get to know the farmers growing it.
Investing in our Veggie Club farm share means that you are sharing in seasonal crops. As the Byrds put it, “Everything has a season.” Some crops like it hot and some like it cool. Some crops can even be coaxed into growing in the depths of winter using innovative tunnel-farming techniques. Different veggies are available at different times of the year, and some (like ramps and fiddleheads) only for a few days or weeks.
If that sounds good to you, we'd like to invite you to come join our Veggie Club farm share program. We'll even give you and your family the option to come down to the farm and share in some of the work!
Reasons to invest in our Veggie Club farm share program:
- You will experience truly fresh food and get a great seasonal variety of produce.
- You will get healthy veggies! Simply visiting the farm or farmers market is a stress reliever, and choosing a lifestyle of eating natural, nourishing food is good for the body and soul.
- You will help support a local farms. This helps our community retain it’s rural character.
- You will have the opportunity to interact with nature. Members are welcome to visit the farm and experience farm life. It’s great to show our children how their food is grown and even give them a role in growing it themselves.
- You will reduce the distance your food travels and the carbon footprint required to transport your food. (The average vegetable travels over 1500 miles from factory-farm to supermarket shelf).
- You will be part of a community! The Veggie Club is about more than just sharing vegetables! It’s a community where fun, responsible, health-conscious families can share recipes, ideas and experiences.
Reasons why you might not want to join our Veggie Club farm share program:
- You won’t get every type of vegetable each and every week. Eating locally and eating seasonally means that you’ll get the produce that’s ripe at the right time. At the market you’ll see a great variety of seasonally available vegetables, just as nature intended it.
- You won’t always get perfect looking vegetables. This isn’t a beauty contest: Our produce is healthy, delicious and grown from the soil.
Reserve your share today!
The Spring 2018 CSA is now closed to new members!
The Fresh Take Farm Veggie Club is accepting members for the Summer 2018 season. Our Summer share will begin on Saturday, August 11th and run for a total of 8 weeks to Sept. 29th.
Micro Share is 5 items at $18 weekly ($144 total)
Full Share is 7 items at $25 weekly ($200 total)
- Glens Falls Farmers Market
- Edward's Market - Granville
- Chapman's General Store - Granville
- Fresh Take Farm - Granville
*Note - We need 5 members for each pickup location or some locations will be consolidated.
Please be sure you fully understand what our Veggie Club farm share is about before you join!
Memberships for the Veggie Club sell out quickly...
To join our Veggie Club farm share program, please fill out an enrollment form today.