We're always looking for side-dish ideas to accompany our Fresh Take chicken roasters and potatoes! This dish really adds some color to the plate! This week we're featuring the big three: Carrots, Onions, and Spinach.
Carrots are a healthy snack, chock full of vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin A (from beta-carotene), biotin, vitamin K (phylloquinone), potassium and vitamin B6. You'll be happy to hear we have plenty of delicious and nutritious carrots available at the market!
Add spinach and some onion and you're really in for a tasty treat! The value of eating green leafy vegetables can't be understated in this cold weather, they are great for circulation and keeping those fingers and toes warm. But the nutritional value of onions is often overlooked! Onions are a great source of fiber and folic acid!
- 1 pound spinach (fresh)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or another vegetable oil)
- 1/2 onions (chopped, more or less to taste)
- 3/4 cup carrots (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- in a large skillet, sauté carrots in olive oil for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add onion and stir until tender, about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir for around 30 seconds.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add the spinach and stir until wilted..
- Once cooked, remove from heat and place skillet contents in a serving dish. Spinach will continue to wilt if left on the heat.
Serve immediately. Bon Appetit!